Friday, April 1, 2011

CCDD 040111—Get Ahead and Dark Knight

Cool Card Design of the Day
4/1/2011 - I've been planning to share an un-card for April Fool's Day for over a month. I've also been planning to share a knight card the same day as Duel Decks: Knights Vs Dragons is released. As no plan is allowed to proceed unmolested, these naturally occurred on the same day. Solution? Two cards today! Wooee. First, Dark Knight, since I don't have all that much to say about him:

This is not rocket science people, I'm just finishing a cycle. White Knight gets Black Knight and Silver Knight gets Dark Knight. Next up, is my un-card:


I don't design a lot of un-cards. When I was playing along at home during the first Great Designer Search, the hardest assignment for me was the un-assignment. It's curious: I'm not a tournament-fanatic and I derive more fun from playing Magic than from winning, and I'm also a comedy-whore: I love Comedy Central, parodies and spoofs. And yet I've just never felt an attraction to Unglued or Unhinged. Maybe I've got nothing against the cards and everything against the "here's some cards you can never play in a real game" mentality. Yeah, that's lame, probably it.

Anyhow, I love two-headed giant and this card let's you turn a couple duels into a two-headed giant game out of nowhere. It shouldn't suffer from the Shahrazad problem since no one's starting over; you're just merging the two games where they currently stand. Will there be rules questions? Of course. Could this hurt a player's chances of winning his match who wasn't even playing against you? Sure. Do I want to go play this right now? Yes, I do.

3 comments:

  1. Cool card. Obviously it needs a lot more rules text to even begin to function (like how to sync up life totals and turns). Still, looks exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wait patiently for the day that we receive Ivory Knight (pro green) and Pearl Knight (pro blue) in white's stable of color-hosing cavaliers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Protection from green appears very rarely because green is the color of non-evasive fatties.

    ReplyDelete